Tuesday, January 11, 2011

All I Really Need to Know... I Learned from My Kindergartner

Photobucket
ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW I LEARNED IN KINDERGARTEN

• Share everything.
• Play fair.
• Don't hit people.
• Put things back where you found them.
• Clean up your own mess.
• Don't take things that aren't yours.
• Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
• Wash your hands before you eat.
• Flush.
• Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
• Live a balanced life - learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
• Take a nap every afternoon.
• When you go out in the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands and stick together.
• Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup: the roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.
• Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup - they all die. So do we.
• And then remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first word you learned - the biggest word of all - LOOK.

I had always seen this posted in classrooms, posters in stores… I would hear the saying often, but I never really knew what it meant- until yesterday.
It took MY kindergartner to TEACH me just what was meant by this “saying”. Yes, my five year old has taught be a lesson or two on love, acceptance and most importantly- forgiveness.

Jayda never fails to make me SO proud to be her mommy. And I thank God each day for blessing me with her. I also thank Him for making her such a wonderful little girl – a challenge, but a wonderful challenge.

In kinder Jayda has shown me…

  • To love the people who are “different”
  • Be the voice to those who haven’t yet learned how to fully use theirs.
  • Be open to new ideas
  • LOVE to learn, LOVE new knowledge
  • Keep trying; even if they are not responding to your kindness… don’t give up on them
  • POPCORN words are FUN
  • SHARE often

"It doesn’t feel good when someone is mean to you"… BUT, “I can give her a second chance Mommy…”

Yes, my baby, my five year old, my kindergartner… has taught me so many life lessons. She loves people. She sees the good in everyone. She is SO giving. She is SO forgiving… and she just LOVES to be at school to learn new things…

Even to those kids who she keeps talking about – they are “mean sometimes” and “I am trying so hard with them Mommy, I’m just trying to make it work…”

Yes, baby… I see your efforts. Through your efforts, Mommy is learning to keep “trying to make it work” and learning to not be so judgmental…

And yes, baby, everyone does deserve a “second chance”… thank you for reminding me when I was telling you to do the opposite.

I love you with all my heart Jayda… forever and always! And I am SO proud to be your Mommy!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...